The Naming of the Fro
I know people are usually focused on TAMING their ‘fro, but here at Natural Selection, I’m all about letting my little ‘fro-thing be who it is and grow into an identity of its own. So rather than tame the thing, I think I’d like to name the thing!
Let it be known: I love naming things. I always thought it would be a cool job to work at Crayola and name crayon colors: Orange Red? Boring! More like Pumpkin Blaze! Or Hedonistic Tangerine! Or [making it relevant] Threat Level Orange-Red!
So as we grow with one and other and know one and other, I think it’s just fitting and time to choose a name the mass of coils sitting atop my head. I know that “Poofy” over at Leave it in the Kinks is livin’ large and happy, prolly cause she has a name. It’s a matter of respect, really.
But what to name mine…what. to. name. mine?
Here are my thoughts right now:
- Sue. As in Curly Sue. But now that I write it, it makes me think of A.
that movie from ’91 and B. lawsuits. Maybe not.
- Threat Level AWESOME! Inspired by earlier writing in the post.
- Lola. Because whatever Lola wants, Lola gets, and baby Lola wants lots of water and products. And she gets ’em.
But I don’t know… any ideas? Have you named your hair? Want to? Hmmm….decisions decisions decisions….
Since originally posting, a few other suggestions have come in.
From my mom:
- Your Fro-jesty—as in Majesty, Mamajesty (what she calls herself) and Jermajesty (the name of Jermaine Jackson’s son)
- Snooki/Sneechies/Sneakers/Snickers – after the infamous Jersey Shore character and her equally infamous hair)
- Riz— which we discussed could be elongated into Rizzo. Inspired by the Spanish word “rizado” meaning ” curly” (But Riz is also the French word for Rice)
- Caracol – Spanish for “Round”
Fidel also shot down my suggestion of “Chichi” which in Spanish means, um, boobs. So many things to get lost in translation here!