Are 2-Strand Twists Worth It?
This is a question I often struggle with.
- Once they’re in, you don’t have to mess with your hair for a few days (with the exception of some light moisturizing)
- They take 1-3 hours of straight up twisting time to put in. Ugh.
So is it worth the back-end manual effort for a couple of days of not doing your hair? I’ve decided that the answer is YES. Why? Twist Outs!
Twist outs, if well done, can be really effing cute. (And if poorly executed, well that’s a whole different post). And not only are they cute, but they’re versatile! Usually I leave my twists outs pretty chunky, as in I don’t separate them too much, but today, I really went for separating the little pieces and the result is a super textured style with a lot of movement and shine!
Read on for a step by step on how I got this look!
1. Cowash with Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner. I left a bit in as a leave in too.
2. Squeezed out the excess moisture by plopping (using an old t-shirt rather than a towel)
3. Separated my hair into four sections to keep things nice and easy
4. Used Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee to work a wide tooth comb through my hair. Really liked this stuff. Good moisture and made detangling super easy.
4. Then with a finer tooth comb, worked through Bee Mine Bee Hold Curly Butter. This is my twist “setter”. Had a nice consistency: creamy, but not too heavy.
5. Twist, twist, twist away! I used twists that were 1-2″ in size and wound up with 4-8 twists in each of my sections.
6. Let the twists dry completely overnight and wore them the next day.
7. Carefully unravelled each twist and separated into about four smaller pieces each.
8. Fluffed the roots and shook my head. VOILA!
I really liked the combo of the detangling with the medium tooth comb, Qhemet Ghee, and the Bee Mine Butter. Each of my twists were super smooth and shiny, but not greasy or frizzy. The hold was really good and my hair feels soft.
I might even add a piece of hair candy this evening, after all, it’s Friday night! Happy weekend y’all!